Think this is old school? Try the genboards!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
RhettSarlin

Think this is old school? Try the genboards!

Post by RhettSarlin » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:30 pm

i've been perusing the archive.org cache of the SWG general discussion forum/general any topic forum. lots of fun reading.

if you want to browse them yourself, here's the genboards:

https://web.archive.org/web/20011219033 ... oards.html

and here's from when it became general any topic:

https://web.archive.org/web/20021001193 ... oards.html

be aware that not all topics were archived, but a goodly number of them were.

i found an old "introduce yourself" thread. a pretty sizable chunk of us posted in it. some old names i'd nearly forgotten.

https://web.archive.org/web/20030106102 ... 20210.html

my favorite i've found so far is one of moros's Insanity Threads:

https://web.archive.org/web/20010905195 ... 11645.html

have fun!

Belecthor

Re: Think this is old school? Try the genboards!

Post by Belecthor » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:33 am

Speaking of General Any Topic... does GAT still exist? There seems to be a website, but apparently my old account no longer exists. Not that I really need to revisit that hive of scum and villainy, but you do get to wondering once in a while how ForceMorph, TFA, 1bad, and the rest of those weirdos have gotten on in life.

RhettSarlin

Post by RhettSarlin » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:40 am

They're fine.

They recently made the forums only visible to members, and then turned off new registrations.

This being because several of the members have gotten paranoid over the years about having their online lives connected to their real lives. They've gotten progressively sillier about that over time.

Previously some of them had the admins delete their entire posting history, or deleted their accounts and started new ones (only to then continue making the same kinds of controversial posts they'd made previously, often connected with their RL names as well, making the entire exercise pointless).

Then they moved to new forum software a couple years ago, allowing the previous forum and all its history to simply be erased. They had specifically blocked bots from being able to archive the forum, and they made no backups of it, so it's just gone.

Now they've done this.

So yeah. They exist, but now they'll die a slow death with nobody else being able to see it happen, and previous members not even being able to come back.

I'm still on there myself. I can tell you about anyone you're interested in who's still around.

FM is the owner of the forum. He's a successful software developer/consultant working for Tumblr last he mentioned. He's a published author, indie filmmaker, and all around tech guru.

I....can't remember what TFA stands for. Don't think I ever interacted with this person. They're certainly not around now, at least not by that name. There was tiefighterpilot, so TFP. There was FallenAngel, so FA. There was TLK. But TFA rings no bells.

1bad left 5+ years ago. No idea how he's doing.

Belecthor

Post by Belecthor » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:01 am

I was putting a The in front of FallenAngel. Glad to know she and Joris (can't remember his handle... d2?) and all the rest are still around, if cut off from the rest of the world.

There wasn't really anyone in particular I was curious about. It was just fun to check in every so often.

RhettSarlin

Post by RhettSarlin » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:09 pm

Heh. Well, no, FA isn't still around. Nor is D2. Easily 75% of the old familiar names have fallen away.

FA is a successful manager of several makeup stores last I checked.

D2 is a successful underwater welder and looks very happy, seems to have found love and all that no matter how creepy he is.

The ones left at GAT these days are FarKalkir, Kirby, nikolai, MonJoe, TKP, FM, thai, NoodleBoy, Kryzilya, Arzen, Duate, jaf, Rorschach, Cybren, TAS, Blackferne, mrlaze, BVW, Rancid_orphan, edf, and smatterings of posts from MainerMikeBrown.

That might sound like a lot, but there's a *massive* list of names that are gone now.

Belecthor

Post by Belecthor » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:34 am

Man, I remember all of those names, and can place personalities with most of them. Guess I spent more time on GAT back in the day than I realized.