MEDIA

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
RhettSarlin

MEDIA

Post by RhettSarlin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:08 pm

it is pretty great. movies, tv shows, games, etc.

what have you been digging of late?

i just finished stranger things season 3 last night and it was fantastic. my favorite season thus far.

planning to go to see the new spiderman soon.

looking forward to the new dune film and the star wars live action series. oh, and the LotR amazon series too.

EXPRESS ALL YOUR VAGUE OPINIONS HERE.

morostheSophist

Re: MEDIA

Post by morostheSophist » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:16 pm

Media? My parents used to live near there, I think.

jairuncaloth

Post by jairuncaloth » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:44 pm

Stranger Things 3 was really good.
I've also been watching DARK on Netflix. The dubbing is pretty bad, but it's interesting.

RhettSarlin

Post by RhettSarlin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:48 pm

I'm usually a subtitles man but for Dark I think I do prefer dubs over subs. It's an interesting story, albeit a bit hackneyed at times.

Grimthorn

Post by Grimthorn » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:41 am

Watched all of stranger things last weekend through Tuesday. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Saw Spiderman the week before. Was super fantastic.

I don't really watch a lot of tv anymore. Rinin got me hooked on audiobooks with Dresden Files back in 2012 and at this point I overspend on audible sales the way most people do on Steam Sales and I binge audiobooks the way most people binge netflix.

jairuncaloth

Post by jairuncaloth » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:16 am

I've never gotten into audio books, but I've loved reading since I was a kid. I've read a few of the Dresden Files books, but I haven't gotten super into them. Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite current authors.

I have to re-read a lot otherwise I will spend ENTIRELY too much money on e-books. I'm addicted to the google opinion rewards app because it gives me e-book money. Our library also has overdrive/libby, which lets me borrow e-books on the internet. They have a bunch of audio books too. Might be worth checking out and seeing if your local library has an online borrowing service.

Grimthorn

Post by Grimthorn » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:17 am

Yeah, I had tried audiobooks several times before and had trouble getting into them as well until Rinin got me to listen to the first Dresden book. I've found it really comes down to finding the right narrators. They can have a bigger influence on how much I like an audiobook than the quality of the actual book. I have a short list of narrators who I'd listen to reading a German phone book, but then the narrator for the first Hunger Games book butchered it so bad I couldn't make it past the second chapter because she read it as though her audience was a class of pre-schoolers.

The only Sanderson book I've listened to (so far) is Warbreaker, but it was *really* good. I have Steelheart but haven't listened to it yet, and added a few other books of his to my wishlist after listening to Warbreaker.

My local libraries have overdrive and libby, but unfortunately the arrangements they have for the audiobooks are streaming-only, so I can't download to be able to listen when I'm driving, at the gym, out eating, or whatnot.

It's not a big deal, though. My work gives management our end of year bonuses the first paycheck after Thanksgiving, so I use part of that every year to wipe out large chunks of my wishlist during the members-only sales that Audible does at Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and February 1st....then I spend the rest of the year adding more books to my wishlist and I usually start running short on books around mid-late october so the timing works out well.

jairuncaloth

Post by jairuncaloth » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:33 am

You got me curious about the options for listening to overdrive audio books so I went and looked it up. According to their website, there's a desktop/mobile app that will let you download audiobooks in mp3 format. https://help.overdrive.com/en-us/0026.h ... ats|_____2

Steelheart is good, but you can tell it's targeted at a younger audience. I usually recommend the first Mistborn trilogy as a good starting place for Sanderson.

Grimthorn

Post by Grimthorn » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:33 am

Good to know going in, but being geared towards younger audiences doesn't necessarily bother me. I love Rick Riordan's books and they are very definitely written for younger teens. When I say Hunger Games was being read as though her audience was pre-schoolers, I'm not exaggerating. The narrator was reading in the "I'm talking to a puppy/toddler" voice. It was so terrible the director should've been strung up by his/her toes for allowing it to go on longer than 3 minutes.

The first of the Mistborn books has been in my wishlist ever since I listened to Warbreaker. From what I understand, Warbreaker takes place in the same world, just much later.

Hmm, even with the app it wouldn't let you download through my local libraries last time I looked into it....then again, last time I looked into it, all they had was city libraries, and now they have churches and school districts listed.

jairuncaloth

Post by jairuncaloth » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:55 am

Warbreaker is really good and I suspect you will enjoy Steelheart as well. Most of Sanderson's stories take place in the same universe (called the Cosmere), and all link together into one overarching storyline, but all of them stand on their own and you can be completely oblivious of the Cosmere without missing much. Currently Warbreaker is the only book we have from that particular world.

morostheSophist

Post by morostheSophist » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:01 am

I read the first Mistborn book. Not bad. It did seem like there might be more to the overall universe, but the story is quite self-contained.

Suza

Post by Suza » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:16 am

I love Audiobooks. Im currently listening to the Harry Potter series again. Such a great narrator. I agree they really do make all the difference. My all-time favorite narrators are Neil Gaiman, then RC Bray, Jim Dale, Luke Daniels and Kate Reading.

If you like The Dresden Files, I recommend the Iron Druid series.

For TV - I just finished up iZombie, Lucifer and Stranger Things. I should give Dark another shot.

Grimthorn

Post by Grimthorn » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:38 pm

Yup, I have the whole Iron Druid series. Damned disappointed it's over, and REALLY hoping we get a spin-off following Owen, or just a hell of a lot more of Oberon's Meaty Mysteries. Luke Daniels is one of my go-to narrators as well. I tried Hearne's collab series Kill The Farmboy, but it was..."not for me" is the kindest thing I can say.

A Plague of Giants, however, was easily in the top 5 audiobooks I've listened to out of some 430-ish. It requires paying close attention, though. He's spending the rest of this year writing the second book in that series, and I think the only other book I've ever been so anxious to be able to listen to is the next Dresden book, Peace Talks, that I've been waiting on for 5 years now....thank the Diablo franchise for teaching me patience. *nod*

Other series I would suggest:

Urban Fantasy:
--Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries by Charlaine Harris (yes, Trublood was not good. The books are)
--Everything by Rick Riordan that isn't the Magnus Chase series....but be careful about the read order, because 3 of his series are all one big series. Percy Jackson -> Heroes of Olympus -> Trials of Apollo.
--The Checquy Files by Daniel O'Malley
--Glass and Steele by C.J.Archer (Victorian era, but NOT steampunk)
--Black Tide Rising by John Ringo (Zombie apocalypse at sea) (venturing into his other writings is strongly not advised)
--Kate Daniels Series by Illona Andrews
--Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs

Fantasy:
--Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss
--Arcane Ascension by Andrew Rowe
--An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

Sci-fi
--Red Rising by Pierce Brown (Space opera)
--Chronicles of St. Mary's by Jodi Taylor (time travel, humor)
--Arc of a Scythe by Neal Shusterman (Utopia has it's down sides)
--Bobiverse by Dennis E. Taylor (self-replicating AI space probe sent to prepare livable planets for colonization. Lots of humor)

Nerdy Comedy:
--Magic 2.0 by Scott Meyer (the universe IS a computer program and the source file has been found)
--Dark Profit Saga by J. Zachary Pike (a satire of fantasy RPG tropes)
--The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates by Caroline Carlson (these are written for older kids/tweens, but they are hilarious piratical romps)

litRPG/GameLit:
--Mirror World by Alexey Osadchuk
--Ascend Online by Luke Chmilenko
--Dark Herbalist Series by Michael Atamanov
--Chaos Seeds Series by Aleron Kong
--Spells, Swords & Stealth by Drew Hayes